Apr 16, 2024  
2021-2022 University Student Handbook 
2021-2022 University Student Handbook [FINAL EDITION]

Student Health Services

Student Health Services (located in Metropolitan Hall) is staffed by certified nurse practitioners, a physician, and registered nurses. Appointments are required except for urgent circumstances.

Widener uses Crozer-Chester Medical System for acute emergency referrals. Emergency hospital services and referral visits must be applied to the student’s or parents’ health insurance plan. The university is not financially responsible for this type of extended care.

Student Health Services Charges

There is no charge to students for basic medical services provided by Student Health Services personnel. There are charges for prescription and OTC medications, immunizations, laboratory tests, equipment or specific healthcare treatments. These charges can be billed directly to the student’s school account, or paid for by check or cash. Student Health Services does not directly bill third-party insurance companies but upon request will provide required documentation for students, parents, or guardians to submit charges for reimbursement. Beginning Fall 2021, Student Health Services may submit a student’s health insurance to Quest or LabCorp for billing and reimbursement if applicable. Please note it is pertinent that students know if their insurance uses Quest or LabCorp as a billing provider.

For more information, including hours of operation, services offered, and a directory, visit the Student Health Services website.

Student Health Requirements

Widener University’s Health History and Pre-Matriculation Immunization/Tuberculosis (TB) Testing Policy requires all new incoming Freshmen, International, Transfer, PsyD, and Residential Graduate students living in a residence hall, to provide Student Health Services with the health and immunization/TB testing information. In order to remain in good standing with the university please comply with this process.

Please visit: http://sites.widener.edu/studenthealth/required-health-forms/

Health Insurance Requirement

Widener University requires personal health insurance of all full time undergraduate students taking 12 or more credit hours, graduate residential students living in a residence hall and all graduate students participating in the following clinical programs with 6 or more credit hours: DOT, DPT, MSN, MS SLP, MSW, dual degree MSW, PsyD, and dual degree PsyD,

At the beginning of each academic year, students are required to complete the online waiver/enrollment process through MyWidener. For more information regarding health insurance requirements please visit: http://sites.widener.edu/studenthealth/student-health-insurance/

All students who are required to have insurance are annually pre-billed for the school sponsored plan. Upon completion of the waiver process, the insurance fee will be credited on the student’s bursar account. If a student chooses the university insurance plan, the enrollment process must be completed and charges will remain intact.

International (undergraduate and graduate) students on nonimmigrant visas must be covered by the Widener University student health insurance policy. SACM and Fulbright students will not be enrolled in the university medical insurance because of the coverage provided by their sponsor.