Jul 14, 2024  
2022 - 2023 Undergraduate Catalog 
2022 - 2023 Undergraduate Catalog [FINAL EDITION]

Academic Policies and Procedures

Grading System

Letter grades and their equivalents in quality points are:

A (Excellent) 4.0
A– 3.7
B+ 3.3
B (Good) 3.0
B– 2.7
C+ 2.3
C (Satisfactory) 2.0
C–* 1.7
D+* 1.3
D (Passing)* 1.0
F (Failure) 0.0
XF (Failure: Academic fraud) 0.0
P (Pass: pass/fail course)  
NP (Fail: pass/fail course)  
AU (Audit: No credit)  
I (Incomplete)  
W (Withdrawn)  
IP (In Progress)**  

*Passing but below the average required for graduation.

**In courses designed with coursework that spans beyond a single semester, faculty have the option to assign an IP grade. The intent to use an IP grade for a course should be indicated in the grading policy of the course syllabus, and the faculty should specify when the final grade will be issued to the student. A final grade for a course that could not be completed during the timeframe of the semester must be issued by the end of the following semester. A final grade for the first semester of a two-semester course must be issued by the end of the second course.

A faculty member may choose not to differentiate grades using the plus/minus system for any particular course.

Students receiving an “F” in any course are required to repeat the course to obtain credit. They cannot enroll in any course for which the failed course or the course from which they have withdrawn is a prerequisite until they have successfully repeated the course they failed or from which they withdrew. Under certain conditions, students above the freshman level may enroll in elective courses on a pass/no pass basis. (See “Pass/No Pass Option” section.)

Cumulative Average

To calculate your cumulative grade-point average (GPA), divide the number of quality grade points earned by the number of credits attempted. Example: If you enroll in five 3-credit courses for one term and receive the grades of A, B, C, D, and F, your cumulative GPA would be 2.00 (30 quality grade points divided by 15 attempted credits). If you enroll in five 3-credit courses for the next term and receive the grades A, A, B, B, and C, your cumulative GPA would be 2.60 (78 quality grade points divided by 30 attempted credits). Follow this same procedure for each additional term. Only coursework taken at a baccalaureate school or college of the Main Campus is included in the quality grade-point system.

Pass/No Pass Option

Students may elect to take certain courses on a pass/no pass basis. Forms are available from advisors. Forms must be completed and submitted to Enrollment Services - Registrar’s Office prior to the end of the drop/add period at the start of the semester in which the course is taken with this option.Whether they receive a grade of pass or no pass, the grade will be recorded on the academic transcript but will not affect the cumulative average. The following conditions apply to pass/no pass:

  • Students in good standing after the completion of the freshman year may elect to use the pass/no pass option for one course each semester if their curriculum in that semester allows for such a course.
  • The course may not be within the student’s major field nor be specifically required for graduation. Courses used to satisfy the general education and distribution requirement (all students are required to complete a minimum of 12 semester hours in each of the three areas of humanities, social sciences, and science/mathematics) may not be taken pass/no pass. Any course taken to meet teacher certification requirements may not be taken on a pass/no pass basis. Courses taken to satisfy the writing requirement should not be taken pass/no pass. Students should consult with their advisor to confirm that a course they wish to take meets these requirements.
  • The pass/no pass option may be applied to no more than six courses, including any courses changed as part of a change in curriculum (see “Retroactive Pass/No Pass Option” in the section on “Change in Curriculum”).
  • No modules may be taken on a pass/no pass basis.
  • No courses taken toward a minor may be taken on a pass/no pass basis.

Incomplete Grades

If a student has completed a majority of the work in a course but is unable to finish the remaining requirements within the time constraints of the semester because of illness, injury, or other extenuating circumstances, the instructor may decide to grant the student a grade of incomplete (I). A student who receives an I must arrange to make up all defeciencies with the instructor issuing the grade. If the work is not made up by midterm of the next semester (fall, spring, or summer co-op session) following the semester in which the incomplete is received, the grade will be automatically converted to F. The instructor may stipulate that the work be made up prior to the midterm deadline.

Repetition of Courses

Voluntary Repetition of a Course

A student may repeat any course, regardless of the grade, to effect a change of cumulative grade point average on his or her permanent record. The conditions are as follows:

  • No course may be repeated more than once without written permission from the school/college dean or the dean’s designate (who may stipulate further conditions).
  • Courses previously taken under the standard grading system (A through F) may be repeated under the pass/no pass option. However, they must fall within the regulations for pass/no pass, and the student must receive a passing grade in order to effect any change on the transcript.
  • Permission to repeat a course for cumulative average change must be approved by the student’s advisor. The equivalency of the original and repeated courses will be determined by the discipline that offered the original course.
  • When a course is repeated, the former grade remains on the transcript but carries no credit and is not used in calculating the student’s cumulative average. The latter grade replaces the original grade for credit and quality grade points on the transcript; this applies even when the latter grade is lower than the former. If a student withdraws from a repeated course, no change will be affected. Please note that in cases of academic fraud, this policy does not apply.
  • “Repetition of Course” forms are available from the student’s school or college. The completed form must be presented to Enrollment Services - Registrar’s Office when the student enrolls in the course.
  • Courses once attempted at Widener cannot be repeated at another institution without the permission of the student’s school or college dean and in no case can the repetition affect the Widener University cumulative average.

Mandatory Repetition of a Course

Any student falling below the appropriate minimum GPA standard who fails a required course in his or her major must repeat the course in the next regular semester (i.e., fall or spring) that it is offered. The conditions and procedures for repeating a course are the same as those listed in the description of the voluntary repetition policy.

Academic Progress

A student who makes normal progress may be expected to graduate after eight complete semesters of study. If at the end of any semester, a student falls below the minimal level of achievement required for graduation but remains above the level which necessitates dismissal, the student will be required to reduce the course load until the cumulative grade-point average is restored to a satisfactory level. This means that in order to make up the required work, the student will have to attend summer school, carry a course overload later, and/or delay graduation.*

*This policy does not apply to Center for Extended Learning students. Extended Learning students who do not meet the standards for academic progress may be required to submit a written academic plan on improving their academic average and meet on a regular basis with their advisor. This provision may be continued until a 2.00 cumulative GPA is attained.

Academic Standing

All full-time matriculated students are considered to be in good academic standing. While Widener has no probationary status, each school/college may place specific requirements and conditions upon students to promote academic success. Students should follow the guidelines outlined in the “Standards for Academic Progress and Conditions for Reduced Load and Overload.”

Standards for Academic Progress and Conditions for Reduced Load and Overload

Cumulative Average Standards—The standards for academic progress are as follows. To be in good standing, students must meet the following standards:

Semester Hours Completed Minimum GPA
15.5 or fewer 1.70
16 – 30.5 1.80
31 – 60.5 1.90
61 and more 2.00

Students who do not meet these standards or the standards of their school/college:

  • will have their records reviewed by the dean of their school or college and by their advisor to determine if they should be dismissed or if they should be allowed to continue their studies. If students are allowed to continue, they may be required to meet specific conditions established by their school or college.
  • may be required to reduce their course load by one course below their regular program of study as outlined above. This provision may be continued until a 2.00 cumulative GPA is attained. Students who change their curriculum may not have to reduce their course loads.
  • are ineligible for intercollegiate athletics. A student who wishes to have these standards waived due to extenuating circumstances should submit his or her request for a waiver to the associate provost for undergraduate studies before the beginning of the semester the waiver would be in effect. Waivers are granted rarely and only in circumstances that are beyond a student’s control.
  • may be asked to withdraw from or reduce participation in extracurricular activities.

Standards for Semesterly Progress—Grounds for dismissal for academic failure include:

  • failing to achieve the minimum GPA necessary for good standing consistent with the cumulative standards as listed.
  • failing nine or more credits in one semester.
  • failing to meet the specific requirements and conditions stipulated by the student’s school/college.

Note that the summer terms comprise a semester. Students who are dismissed have the option to petition for reinstatement under specific requirements and conditions.

School/College Specific Eligibility Requirements—It is important to note that some programs require a GPA higher than the minimum GPA on the progress ladder or stipulate other conditions for continuation into the junior year. To learn about such standards and conditions, students should consult the dean of their school or college.

Review of Students Taking Reduced Course Loads—Students with a reduced schedule because of unsatisfactory progress will have their records reviewed by their school or college and their advisor to determine dismissal or conditions for continuance.

Conditions for Overload—No student with less than a 3.00 GPA will be permitted to carry an overload. A student with less than a 3.00 GPA who wishes to carry an overload must request permission from the dean of the student’s school or college.

A student with a 3.00 GPA will be permitted to carry an overload of one course. An overload of more than one course may be permitted upon specific approval of the dean of the student’s school or college.

A student may carry one course more than the course-credits mandated in the student’s curriculum for any given semester without additional charge. Credits taken beyond that point may only be taken with approval and with additional charge.

General Education Purpose Statement

Widener University cultivates critical, creative, and independent thinking to develop undergraduates who demonstrate intellectual integrity, civic engagement, and potential for leadership. General education promotes awareness and synthesis of different strategies of knowing, questioning, and understanding. Through the integration of experiences both inside and outside the classroom, students learn to act as responsible citizens and to pursue knowledge beyond the boundaries of the university. This is commonly referred to as a liberal education, which is defined as:

A philosophy of education that empowers individuals, liberates the mind from ignorance, and cultivates social responsibility. Characterized by challenging encounters with important issues, and more a way of studying than specific content, liberal education can occur at all types of colleges and universities. “General Education” and an expectation of in-depth study in at least one field normally comprise liberal education. (www.aacu-edu.org/advocacy/what_is_liberal_education.cfm)

General Education Goals and Objectives

  1. A liberally educated graduate communicates effectively.
    1. Gives clear presentations before a group.
    2. Writes papers that require locating, analyzing, and formally referencing information sources to support conclusions.
  2. A liberally educated graduate thinks critically.
    1. Makes claims and draws conclusions that require the analysis and evaluation of evidence.
    2. Synthesizes divergent content, methodologies, and models.
    3. Makes and assesses ethical judgments.
    4. Demonstrates an awareness of different points of view and analyzes how these are informed by factors that may include culture, ethnicity, race, socioeconomic status, gender identity, age, disabilities, language, religion, sexual orientation, or geographical area, among others.
  3. A liberally educated graduate uses quantitative methods effectively.
    1. Solves problems using mathematical methods.
    2. Interprets, makes inferences, and draws conclusions from data.
    3. Determines whether numerical results are reasonable.
  4. A liberally educated graduate has developed a wide range of intellectual perspectives and methodologies.
    1. Evaluates the workings of the natural and physical world using theories and models that can be tested by experiments and observations.
    2. Evaluates social science theories and research methods related to questions of human behavior, mental processes, communication, social and cultural structures, and institutions.
    3. Evaluates philosophical, historical, and aesthetic arguments, evidence, and artifacts.

Distribution Requirement

All students are required to complete a minimum of 12 semester hours in each of the three areas of humanities, social science, and science/mathematics. A semester hour consists of one hour per week in the classroom per semester or two to three hours in laboratory or fieldwork per semester. This requirement is based on the conviction that a baccalaureate degree represents more than expertise in a specific field. Students broaden themselves by taking courses in academic areas that have traditionally been at the heart of an undergraduate education. Students should work closely with advisors in selecting courses appropriate to their interests and academic needs.

Courses taken on a pass/no pass basis may not be used to satisfy the university distribution requirement. Both semester long and certain module courses may be used to satisfy distribution requirements.

The following subject areas satisfy distribution requirements:

art history
art studio
creative writing
English (excluding ENGL 100 , ENGL 101 , ENGL 111 )
fine arts
modern language

Science and Mathematics
computer science (excluding CSCI 101 –124)
earth and space science
environmental science
mathematics (excluding MATH 101 –110)
psychology 355
science (excluding SCI 100 )

Social Science
criminal justice
economics (EC 101  , EC 202  only)
communication studies (excluding COMS 217 , COMS 260 , COMS 262 , COMS 264 , COMS 265 , COMS 266 , COMS 309 , COMS 317 , COMS 360 , COMS 362 , COMS 364 , COMS 367 , COMS 368 , COMS 384 , COMS 395 )
political science
psychology (excluding PSY 381, 382, 383, 384, PSY 385 , PSY 395 , PSY 409 , PSY 410 , 419, PSY 423 )

Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies
GWS 101  (humanities or social science), GWS 355  

Developmental Courses

Developmental courses enable students to master fundamental knowledge that they need to succeed in their curricula at Widener. Freshmen are placed in developmental courses based on their performance on a placement test, which is given during the summer prior to enrollment, and their overall academic profile. The following courses are designated as developmental:

CHEM 097   ENGL 100   ENGL 111  
MATH 101   RDG 105 SCI 088

Developmental courses do not satisfy distribution requirements. No more than three credits of developmental coursework may be counted toward graduation.

Dual Degrees and Double Majors

Students may take two majors at Widener. To do so, students must be accepted in both and are required to complete all of the requirements for each major. This is done by choosing courses that apply to both and using electives toward fulfilling the remaining requirements of the other major. Students who choose majors in separate schools/colleges will earn two degrees, known as a dual degree. An example is the physics/mechanical engineering dual degree program within the College of Arts and Sciences and School of Engineering. Students who choose two majors within the same college/school, except the School of Engineering, will earn one degree that lists both majors. An example is the criminal justice/sociology double major within the College of Arts and Sciences. The School of Engineering awards dual degrees if students choose two engineering majors. An example is the biomedical/mechanical engineering dual degree program.

The Undergraduate Writing Program

Writing is more than simply a means of communication, and good writing is a skill that should be mastered by all students. Writing is also a means of thinking and learning, and as such it is an important tool that faculty can use as part of the learning process. In order to develop good writing in all students, Widener University has developed a university-wide writing program that consists of four parts:

First-year Writing

All students complete the first-year writing course ENGL 101  Reading, Thinking, and Writing, except honors students who complete ENGL 103  Freshman Honors English. Students are placed into ENGL 101  based on their reading and writing SAT scores. Students scoring 450 and above are placed into ENGL 101 . Students scoring below 450 are placed in a “double-letter” section (101AA, 101BB, etc.); these require an additional contact hour per week for more intensive skill-building and individualized attention from instructors. Sections of ENGL 101  and ENGL 103  share a common theme every fall, including a selection of common texts and complementary activities.

Writing Enriched Courses

In addition to ENGL 101 , all undergraduate students must complete at least four courses (preferably one per year) that are designated as writing enriched. Writing enriched courses employ a “writing to learn” approach: Students engage more deeply with course material through the writing process while also strengthening their writing skills. Therefore, students should choose courses intentionally in close and informed consultation with their advisers to supplement and complement the major.


  • To facilitate students’ ability to communicate effectively through writing.
  • To provide sustained focus on writing via multiple drafts and assignments as a way to develop both writing and critical thinking skills.
  • To facilitate the discovery of and the development of mastery in a field of study.

Writing Enriched Criteria

  • The course includes a sustained focus on writing as demonstrated through the syllabus, requiring multiple drafts and assignments.
  • Students receive actionable feedback on their writing from the course instructor.
  • Students substantially revise using critical thought and feedback to improve their writing.
  • Students incorporate the feedback from the course instructor in a critical way in subsequent writing.

Periodic Writing Sample

Each school/college periodically uses a writing sample administered by the Writing Center to follow and document the writing progress of their students. Students who need to raise their level of writing have the opportunity to complete a personal writing instruction plan coordinated by the Writing Center. Alternatively, students with serious deficiencies also have the option to take an appropriate course that addresses the deficiencies.

The following table lists the semesters in which each school/college requires the writing sample administered by the Writing Center. The table also gives the minimum score students are expected to obtain without having to complete additional work. Extended Learning students are expected to take the writing sample in the first semester in which they enroll and in their last semester of coursework.

Semester School/Major Minimum Score
Freshman Fall Education 3
Sophomore Fall Education, A&S, Nursing, Business 4
Sophomore Spring Social Work, Engineering 4
Junior Fall Education, A&S, Nursing, Business 5
Junior Spring Social Work, Hospitality 5

Demonstration of Level 5 Writing Competency for Graduating Seniors

Each school/college has the responsibility for assessing the writing level of graduating seniors. The following use the writing sample administered by the Writing Center to certify that graduating seniors have attained level 5 competency: Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Human Service Professions, Nursing.

Implementation of the Writing Program for Transfer Students

Initial Writing Sample—Transfer students will complete the writing sample during the summer orientation for transfer students. Transfer students who do not come to the summer orientation will complete the writing sample during their first semester on campus. The writing sample is administered by the Writing Center.

Writing Enriched Courses—Transfer students may be required to take fewer than four writing enriched courses according to the following schedule:

A student transferring in as a: Must complete:
Freshman 4 writing enriched courses
Sophomore 3 writing enriched courses
Junior and beyond 2 writing enriched courses

take specific courses in order to complete their degree that are also designated writing enriched. Consequently, they may need to complete more than the minimum two or three writing enriched courses listed above.

For more information on the undergraduate writing program, students should check with their dean’s office.

Program Support—Writing Center

The university maintains a Writing Center to assist students with writing assignments in any course. Professional tutors in the center work individually with students and coordinate their efforts with instructors. The center is equipped with a network of computers for students to use. Faculty encourage students to use the center from the first draft of an assignment through to the final revision. Call the center at 610-499-4332 for more information.

Registration for Advanced Courses

Registration for all courses beyond those taken in the freshman year will be held before the end of the preceding semester. The university reserves the right to withdraw any course for which fewer than eight students register.

Credit for Activities

Students who are members of the Widener University Wind Ensemble, Concert Choir, Gospel Choir, String Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, Chorale, Theatre Widener, or Dome staff are eligible to receive academic credit for participation in these activities. To receive credit, students must participate in a given activity for a minimum of four consecutive semesters. A maximum of four credits in any one activity and a total of eight credits in all activities may be applied toward fulfillment of graduation requirements. These credits may be used only as free electives.

Credit by Examination

It is not intended that each student attend Widener for eight regular semesters to earn the bachelor’s degree although this is the normal length of time prescribed for the average student. It is intended that the degree be awarded whenever equivalent mastery can be demonstrated with a minimum requirement of completion of 45 semester hours of study at the university, including the completion of a minimum of 50 percent of credits in the student’s major.

Theoretically, a well-read student can earn up to two years of credit in some fields via the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). Lesser amounts of credit can be earned in all fields. Those entering directly from high school can earn credit via the Advanced Placement (AP) program offered in many secondary schools today. Practicum courses exist that provide credit for supervised student work in community agencies, government, etc. Many of Widener’s co-op (intern) programs enable a student to work for a total of 12 months in industry while still satisfying all requirements for the degree within four years of attendance.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

CLEP differs from other tests in that it is neither tied to nor based upon formal enrollment in a course of instruction. Degree credit can be earned on the basis of a college-level C performance on CLEP examinations. Accordingly, students coming to college directly from high school who seek to bypass courses in areas in which they are proficient, and those wishing to validate experience or personal knowledge in terms of college courses can do so. The tests are divided into two categories:

  1. General examinations in five basic areas:
  • English composition*
  • humanities
  • natural sciences
  • social sciences/history
  • mathematics

By satisfactorily completing all five areas, a student interested in liberal arts or business will enter Widener with sophomore status. Students in engineering and science receive lesser totals because they need a higher level of testing in mathematics and science than is provided in the general examinations. There are specific subject tests they can take to achieve sophomore standing also.

*The general examination in English Composition is equivalent to Widener’s English 100, a developmental course. The subject examination in College Composition must be passed to earn credit for the required ENGL 101 .

  1. Subject examinations measure achievement in specific college courses. More than 20 different tests are currently available.

Applications, policy statements, test dates, and additional information regarding CLEP are available from the Center for Extended Learning, Room 120, Kapelski Learning Center; phone 610-499-4507. The College Board Guide to the CLEP may be reviewed or purchased in the Widener Bookstore.

Students cannot receive CLEP credit for courses previously taken at Widener or for tests on material at a lower level than courses already taken. There is no limit on the number of CLEP tests an applicant may take and the student is assured of degree credit at Widener in every instance where the college-level C is earned. While the number of cases would be rare, it is possible for a particularly well-qualified student to satisfy up to two years of college via CLEP.

Transfer of Credit After Matriculation

After matriculation, students at Widener will not be authorized to take more than nine credits from other institutions and will only be authorized to take courses elsewhere if they have greater than 45 credits remaining until graduation with permission from the associate provost for undergraduate academic affairs. Transfer of credit for courses taken at other institutions after matriculation at Widener must have the prior approval of the associate provost for undergraduate academic affairs. The procedure to obtain this approval is:

  1. Permission of student’s school or college.
  2. Approval of course as suitable for Widener credit by school or college within which credit is sought.
  3. Final approval from the associate provost.

Courses taken at other institutions will have no effect on the student’s cumulative GPA at Widener since quality grade-point credits will not be transferred. A minimum grade of “C” must be earned in a course to have credits transferred to Widener. Exceptions for the transfer of “C–” or lower grades differ among the academic majors. Students can learn about these policies from their academic deans.

Change of Curriculum

Any student desiring to change his or her curriculum should follow this procedure:

  1. Report to advisor and obtain an “Application for Change in Major/Minor” form.
  2. Obtain approval and signature from the dean of the college/school whose area the student wishes to enter and from the dean whose area the student plans to leave.
  3. Take the “Application for Change in Major/Minor” form to the office of the associate provost for undergraduate academic affairs for the final signature.

Retroactive Pass/No Pass Option—Any student who changes curriculum retains his or her previous record and must meet all requirements as stated in the Undergraduate Catalog at the time of the change. However, for certain curriculum changes, the student can request (at the time of change) retroactive pass/no pass credit for certain courses taken previously that do not lie within his or her new major field, are not used to meet teacher certification requirements, are not required for his or her new major, and are not being used to fulfill general educational requirements.

Appropriate forms must be completed at the time of changing curriculum, approved by the dean of the new college or school, and submitted to the associate provost.

This option may be applied to no more than four courses and will be specifically designated on the transcript.

Curriculum Revisions

Revisions in curriculum requirements will apply only to the semester beyond the student’s level at the time of their introduction.

Withdrawal from or Adding Courses

During the drop/add period, students can drop or add classes and their semester charges will be adjusted to reflect full-time or part-time status as of the last day of the drop/add period. No tuition or fee adjustments are made after the drop/add period for a student who reduces his/her course load to less than 12 credits. Students are encouraged to select their courses carefully and make all adjustments during the drop/add period.

Full-Semester Courses

Students can change their class schedule during the drop/add period by dropping and adding classes online. Semester charges will be adjusted to reflect full- or part-time status as of the last day of the drop/add period. No tuition or fee adjustments are made after the drop/add period for students who reduce their course load to less than 12 credits. Students are encouraged to select their courses carefully and make all adjustments during the drop/add period.

If a student cannot add a course online because it is closed or for some other reason, the student will need to bring a “Registration” form signed by his or her advisor to Enrollment Services in Lipka Hall.

A student can drop a course online within the first six days of the semester without creating a record.

Any student desiring to withdraw from a course after the first six days must submit to Enrollment Services a “Registration” form signed by his or her advisor and the instructor of the course. Any student who withdraws from a course after the first six days of the semester but prior to the last four weeks of the semester will be given a grade of “W” (withdrawal). A grade of “W” does not affect the student’s cumulative average. If a student drops a class during the last four weeks of the semester without the signed approval of the associate provost or stops attending a class at any time without officially withdrawing from the class through Enrollment Services, the student will receive a grade of “F” for the course.

Full-semester courses may be added during the first six days of a semester. No courses may be added after this time.


During the first week of a module, a student may drop a module without record. Such a drop requires the approval of the student’s advisor, who will complete and sign an official “Registration” form that the student must submit to Enrollment Services.

Any student desiring to drop a module after the first week must obtain the written permission of his or her advisor and the signed acknowledgment of the course instructor on the official “Registration” form, which the student must return to Enrollment Services. A student who drops a course later than one week beyond the opening of the course, but earlier than two weeks before its close, will be given a grade of “W” (withdrawal) for the course. A grade of “W” does not affect the student’s cumulative average. If the student drops a module during the last two weeks of class, or drops a module without permission at any time, he or she will receive a grade of “F” for the course.

Modular courses may be added prior to the second week of a modular offering. No modules may be added after this time.

Withdrawal from the University and Adjustment of Charges

The university must arrange in advance for its services for the student body for the full academic year. For this reason, registration by a student is considered a contract for the payment of tuition, fees, room and board as billed, and is subject to the provisions of this section.

Procedures for Withdrawal

All students withdrawing from the university must contact Enrollment Services and complete a “Withdrawal Clearance” form. In some circumstances, a meeting with the associate provost for undergraduate academic affairs may also be necessary when a student has a medical or personal hardship issue. When a resident student withdraws from the university, he or she is to vacate his or her room in good order within 24 hours.

Re-enrollment Policy for Withdrawn Students

To return to Widener, students in good academic standing should contact Enrollment Services in Lipka Hall at 610-499-4161. Undergraduate students who have officially withdrawn or are not enrolled in classes by the last day of the drop/add period will have their programs closed by Enrollment Services. Before returning, students must first determine if there are any holds on their account by referencing CampusCruiser or asking Enrollment Services. If a hold exists, the student must remedy the hold before proceeding in the re-enrollment process.

After all holds are remedied, the student should go to Enrollment Services where it will be determined if academic progress was being made when the student left Widener. If academic progress standards were met, the student’s program will be re-opened, and the student will be responsible for all requirements at the time of re-enrollment. If academic progress standards were not met and the student has not been academically dismissed, the student will go to the associate dean of his or her school or college to seek academic approval.

Finally, the student will meet with an advisor to schedule classes. If the student has taken courses since leaving Widener, the student must submit an official transcript to the Registrar’s Office for degree audit before the advising appointment. Credits may or may not be transferred depending on university policy. Students can only be re-enrolled to Widener under the curriculum they left. Once students are re-enrolled to Widener, they may pursue changing their major by following the process for “Change of Curriculum”.

Re-admission Policy for Academically Dismissed Students

Students who have been academically dismissed from Widener must fill out a re-admission application and submit it to the Office of Admissions. Students must submit an official transcript of coursework completed at other institutions since leaving Widener.

Adjustment of Charges

In case of withdrawal, tuition and room/board charges are adjusted on a pro rata basis. The specific schedule for adjustment of charges for each academic term is developed in accordance with regulations of the U.S. Department of Education. In general, the adjustments will be 100 percent prior to the second class, 90 percent to the end of the third week, 75 percent at the beginning of week five, 50 percent for weeks five and six, and 25 percent to the beginning of week eight. No adjustment will be granted after the end of this period. Students who are dismissed from the university or residence halls are not eligible for an adjustment.  Please refer to 2019-2020 Tuition Guide  for more information. 

All new students who decide not to attend should cancel their residence hall arrangement, application, or assignment by notifying the Admissions Office. Others not returning should contact the Housing and Residence Life Office in writing or by phone at the earliest possible date. Adjustments granted to resident students are based on the date personal effects are removed from the room, keys are surrendered, and proper and complete check-out has been effected.

Notice of Withdrawal: The effective date used for all adjustment of charges will be the date written notice of withdrawal is received by the appropriate program office of Widener University.

In the case of adjustment due to a student who has been awarded financial aid, the adjustment becomes the amount available for distribution to the federal, state, and institutional fund accounts. The amount returned to the funding agencies is determined in accordance with federal and state regulations. Any balance remaining after required repayments to sources of financial aid is refunded to the student. The detailed worksheet of the distribution formula can be obtained from Financial Aid Services.


Readmitted students are liable for all qualitative and quantitative requirements for the degree that are in effect at the time of readmission as opposed to those that might have been in effect during the period of prior attendance. Students readmitted to Widener following an absence of three or more years may, at their option, have their prior Widener (PMC) credits recognized (in a similar manner to those of transfer students) in accordance with the following:

  • All courses completed with grades of C or higher will be recognized as BLOC credit with no qualitative value. However, a student must receive graded (i.e., qualitative) credit for at least 50 percent of major coursework.
  • Earlier courses in which a grade of F was earned are not carried forward. For a student with at least a 2.0 GPA at the time of reentry, courses with grades of C–, D+, or D may be carried forward and used to satisfy curricular requirements consistent with the school’s or college’s policy on the transfer of C– or lower grades.
  • The determination as to which of the courses carried forward are acceptable in satisfying specific degree requirements will be made by the faculty in the major area into which the student is accepted.
  • Calculation of the student’s new GPA begins at the point of reentry. All courses taken at Widener are listed on the transcript.
  • Honors will be awarded on the basis of the cumulative grade-point average under the same conditions as those stated for all transfer students.