Jun 22, 2024  
2023-2024 Graduate Catalog 
2023-2024 Graduate Catalog [FINAL EDITION]

General Information

University Policy

It is the policy of Widener University not to discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, pregnancy status, age, race, national origin or ethnicity, religion, disability, status as a veteran of the Vietnam era or other covered veteran, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information, or any protected class in its educational programs, admissions policies, employment practices, financial aid, or other school-administered programs or activities. This policy is enforced under various federal and state laws, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended by the Civil Rights Act of 1991, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Further, in compliance with state and federal laws, Widener University will provide the following information upon request: (a) copies of documents pertinent to the university’s accreditations, approvals, or licensing by external agencies or governmental bodies; (b) reports on crime and fire statistics and information on safety policies and procedures; and (c) information regarding gender equity relative to intercollegiate athletic programs—Contact:Vice President for Administration and Finance, Widener University, One University Place, Chester, PA 19013; tel. 610-499-4151. Comments or requests for information regarding services and resources for disabled students should be directed to: Director of Disability Services, Widener University, One University Place, Chester, PA 19013; tel. 610-499-1266; or Dean of Students, Widener University Delaware Law School, P.O. Box 7474, Wilmington, DE 19803; tel. 302-477-2173.

This publication contains information, policies, procedures, regulations, and requirements that were correct at the time of publication. In keeping with the educational mission of the university, the information, policies, procedures, regulations, and requirements contained herein are continually being reviewed, changed, and updated. Consequently, this document cannot be considered binding and must be used solely as an informational guide. Students are responsible for keeping informed of official policies and meeting all relevant requirements.

The university reserves the right and authority at any time to alter any or all of the statements contained herein, to modify the requirements for admission and graduation, to change or discontinue programs of study, to amend any regulation or policy affecting the student body, to increase tuition and fees, to deny admission, to revoke an offer of admission, and to dismiss from the university any student at any time, if it is deemed by the university to be in the best interest of the university, the university community, or the student to do so. The provisions of this publication are subject to change without notice, and nothing in this publication may be considered as setting forth terms of a contract between a student or a prospective student and Widener University.

Published by the Office of University Relations, June, 2021.


Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (“Title IX”) prohibits discrimination based on sex and gender in educational programs and activities that receive federal financial assistance. Such programs include recruitment, admissions, financial aid and scholarships, athletics, course offerings and access, hiring and retention, and benefits and leave. Title IX also protects students and employees from unlawful sexual harassment (including sexual violence) in university programs and activities. In compliance with Title IX, the university prohibits discrimination and harassment based on sex in employment as well as in all programs and activities.

The university’s Title IX coordinator monitors compliance with Title IX and its accompanying regulations. Individuals with questions or concerns about Title IX and/or those who wish to file a complaint of noncompliance may contact the Title IX coordinator or deputy coordinators: The university’s Interim Title IX coordinator is Randi Teplitz, One University Place, Chester, PA 19013; tel. 717-541-3952; e-mail bteplitz@widener.edu. The university has also appointed several deputy Title IX coordinators: For students on the Chester, PA, campus and Continuting Studies students: Associate Dean of Students Catherine Feminella, One University Place, Chester, PA 19013; tel. 610-499-4392; e-mail cafeminella@widener.edu; or Chief of Campus Safety Kevin Raport, tel. 302-477-2202; e-mail kjraport@widener.edu. For students and employees on the Wilmington, DE, campus: Dean of Students Susan Goldberg, Widener University Delaware Law School, 4601 Concord Pike, Wilmington, DE 19803; tel. 302-477-2173; e-mail slgoldberg@widener.edu. For students and employees on the Harrisburg, PA, campus: Supervising Attorney and Director, of Student Organizations Mary Catherine Scott, Widener University Commonwealth Law School, 3800 Vartan Way, Harrisburg, PA 17106; tel. 717-541-0320; e-mail mcscott9055@widener.edu.

The U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR) is the division of the federal government charged with enforcing compliance with Title IX. Information regarding OCR can be found at: www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/index.html. Questions about Title IX may be directed to OCR as well as to the university’s Title IX coordinator or deputy coordinators.

Student Status

Students are considered to be full-time graduate students when they are enrolled in 9 or more hours of graduate study or when they are enrolled in Dissertation Research. It is recommended that students take no more than 12 semester hours of graduate study. Students in these programs who enroll in at least 5 semester hours of graduate study are considered to be half-time students.


A matriculated student is one who has been officially admitted to an approved program leading to a graduate degree or certificate.

Special Status

A “special status” student is a nonmatriculated student. Special status students typically register for courses for professional development. While a student in this category can take an unlimited number of courses, a student must become matriculated in order to pursue a degree or certification. Courses completed under special status will not automatically transfer toward a degree or certificate program. No more than six credits should be taken before matriculating.

Graduate Assistantships

A limited number of graduate assistantships are available each year for graduate students. Students receive tuition remission for course work and a stipend based on up to 20 hours of work per week. Graduate assistants work with faculty and administration on special research and administrative projects. For further information, contact the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies.

Grading System

Please see each School’s page for its grading system.

The grade of “Incomplete” (I) is assigned when a student has not completed the required coursework.  The I grade signifies that a grade is being withheld until the required work is completed and approved.

In all cases, the I grade is a privilege exercised by an instructor. It is not a right ascribed to a student. The instructor is not required to provide an I grade. An I grade cannot be employed to avoid the receipt of a low grade.

For an I grade to be assigned:

  • The student must initiate the request with their instructor prior to the end of the semester (before finals begin) in which the course has been taken and must have completed the majority of work in a course.
  • A formal agreement is developed between the student and the instructor delineating the conditions for removing the I grade
  • For the I grade to be removed, students are responsible for completing their work within one year
  • Individual instructors may require that work be completed in advance of these deadlines, and will provide such deadline to the student at the point of the Incomplete agreement.
  • If there is reason to extend the deadline for an I grade removal, it is the student’s responsibility to initiate this by submitting a request to the instructor. This request must be signed by the instructor and appropriate Graduate Program Director and College/School Dean. 
  • If the work is not made up within the prescribed period, the grade will be automatically converted to F.

A student cannot be awarded a degree when there is an outstanding incomplete grade on the transcript, even if the incomplete is in a course not required in the degree program.

If a course is repeated, both grades will be recorded on the transcript, but only the most recent grade will be used in calculating the grade point average (GPA). When a student is found to have violated Widener’s academic fraud policies, that student is prohibited from exercising the repeat-of-course option to remove the F grade (given as a result of fraud) from the GPA calculation.

If a student fails to meet the degree requirements in a timely manner or if repeated failure has occurred, the University may terminate the graduate program for the student. Conduct inconsistent with the ethical and professional standards of the discipline, whether it occurs before or after matriculation, is also grounds for dismissal from the program. Such conduct includes academic fraud. A student dismissed for academic fraud may no longer enroll in the graduate programs of the university and may not apply for admission into another division of the university. Please see the section entitled “Standards for Academic Integrity.”

Grading and Dismissal

Graduate students are expected to maintain satisfactory rates of progress toward their graduate degree. The graduate record for students begins with the first course in which they enroll and includes all subsequent courses.

Students who earn a grade of less than B in courses totaling six semester hours will be subject to academic dismissal. If a student earns a grade of B – or below, the course may be repeated only once. Both grades will be recorded on the transcript, but only the most recent grade will be used in calculating the GPA. When a student is found to have violated Widener’s academic fraud policies, that student is prohibited from exercising the repeat-of-course option to remove the F grade (given as a result of fraud) from the GPA calculation. To graduate, students must achieve an overall GPA of 3.0 on a standard 4.0 system. No student will graduate with an incomplete grade.

Conduct inconsistent with the ethical and professional standards of the discipline, whether it occurs before or after matriculation, is grounds for dismissal from the program.

Pass/No Pass

Graduate courses will give standard letter grades. Occasionally, the special nature of some courses will require that they be graded on a pass/no pass basis. The decision to grade on a pass/no pass basis will be included on the course syllabus and will apply to only that course. This is not an option for any course except one in which the instructor has determined this to be the appropriate form of grading. 

Drop/Add Policy

Students may withdraw from a course during the University Add/Drop Period without penalty.  In such cases, students will be deleted from the course and will receive a refund in accordance with University policy.

Following the expiration of the Add/Drop Period, students may withdraw from a course and receive a W on the transcript, provided they do so by the midpoint of the given course with approval from the faculty member and the Graduate Program Director.  Students will not receive a refund for such a withdrawal in accordance with University policy. 

Students are not eligible to withdraw from a course after the midpoint of the semester, and students who fail to complete the required coursework may receive a grade of “F” or “Incomplete,” at the discretion of the course faculty member.  Students may apply for an exception to this policy when serious extenuating circumstances exist. The student submits their request in writing to their Graduate Program Director for consideration.  Final approval may be granted by the Dean of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies. Students will not receive a refund for such a withdrawal in accordance with University policy.

Graduate students begin the withdrawal process after the Add/Drop Period by notifying their advisor of their intent to withdraw, either orally or in writing. The advisor submits a drop/add form, which includes the student’s last date of attendance at an academically related activity, to Enrollment Services - Registrar’s Office.

Students may add a course without special permission no later than one week after the semester has begun. If a student wishes to add a course after one week, written permission must be obtained from both the instructor and the dean’s office.


Students will be permitted to audit courses in the graduate program with the approval of the instructor. No grade or credit is given for auditing a course, and examinations need not be taken; however, the registration procedure and fee structure are the same as that for other students.

Standards for Academic Integrity

Academic Integrity Policy

The Academic Integrity Policy was approved by the Faculty Council. Additional regulations are excerpted and paraphrased from the “Minutes of the Academic Council.” These regulations explain Widener University’s expectations regarding students’ academic conduct and describe procedures related to those expectations. Exceptions to the regulations may be made only by special action of the school/college academic councils of the Academic Review Board. References in this catalog refer to the Main Campus only.

Statement on Academic Integrity

Widener University strongly supports the concept of academic integrity and expects students and all other members of the Widener University community to be honest in all academic endeavors. Cheating, plagiarism, and all other forms of academic fraud are unacceptable; they are serious violations of university policy. In some circumstances, students’ conduct may require review under the research integrity policy, the freedom to learn policy, the judicial review policy, and other university policies. Widener University expects all students to be familiar with university policies on academic integrity, as outlined in this catalog. The university will not accept a claim of ignorance—either of the policy itself or of what constitutes academic fraud—as a valid defense against such a charge.

Violations of Academic Integrity

Violations of academic integrity constitute academic fraud. Academic fraud consists of any action that serves to undermine the integrity of the academic process or that gives the student an unfair advantage, including:

  • inspecting, duplicating or distributing test materials without authorization.
  • cheating, attempting to cheat, or assisting others to cheat.
  • altering work after it has been submitted for a grade.
  • plagiarizing.
  • using or attempting to use anything that constitutes unauthorized assistance.
  • fabricating, falsifying, distorting, or inventing any information, documentation, or citation.

Each student’s program may have on record additional specific acts particular to a discipline that constitutes academic fraud. These specific acts are specified in relevant handbooks or course syllabi.

Statement on Plagiarism

One of the most common violations of academic integrity is plagiarism. Plagiarism can be intentional or unintentional. However, since each student is responsible for knowing what constitutes plagiarism, unintentional plagiarism is as unacceptable as intentional plagiarism and commission of it will bring the same penalties. In many classes, faculty members will provide their definitions of plagiarism. In classes where a definition is not provided, students will be held to the definition of plagiarism that follows:

Definition of Plagiarism

Plagiarism—submitting the work of others as one’s own—is a serious offense. In the academic world, plagiarism is theft. Information from sources—whether quoted, paraphrased, or summarized—must be given credit through specific citations. When a student paraphrases a work, it is still necessary to cite the original source. Merely rearranging a sentence or changing a few words is not sufficient. The citation style should be appropriate for the discipline and should clearly indicate the beginning and ending of the referenced material. All sources used in the preparation of an academic paper must also be listed with full bibliographic details at the end of the paper, as appropriate in the discipline.

Self-plagiarism is the presentation of your own previously published work as original.  Incorporating previous classwork into one’s thesis or dissertation and building on one’s own existing writing may be permissible; graduate students who wish to do this should first disclose and discuss their ideas with their instructor or advisor (https://apastyle.apa.org/style-grammar-guidelines/citations/plagiarism). Submitting all or part of a paper used in a previous graduate class as part of a current graduate class assignment should not be done without first discussing with instructor.

Faculty and Student Responsibilities

  • Every student, faculty member, and administrator is responsible for upholding the highest standards of academic integrity. Every member of the Widener community shall honor the spirit of this policy by refusing to tolerate academic fraud.
  • When expectations for a course are not addressed in this policy, it is the responsibility of the instructor to provide students with additional guidelines for what constitutes “authorized” and “unauthorized” assistance.
  • It is the responsibility of every student to seek clarification if in doubt about what constitutes “authorized” and “unauthorized” assistance. In cases of collaborative work, all students within the collaborative group may be responsible for “unauthorized” assistance to any individual student within the collaborative group.
  • Students are required to obtain permission prior to submitting work, any part of which was previously or will be submitted in another course. The instructor has the option of accepting, rejecting, or requiring modification of the content of previously or simultaneously submitted work.

A student who suspects that a violation of academic integrity has occurred should report that violation to the Dean for the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies or their dean. In this report, the student should describe any action taken, such as talking with the person involved or with a faculty or staff member. Every effort will be made to preserve the anonymity of the student reporting the incident; however, confidentiality cannot be guaranteed.

Resolution at the Faculty/Student Level for Academic Fraud Occurring in a Course

Process and Reporting

A faculty member who becomes aware of possible academic fraud in a course will:

  1. Collect and preserve all evidence of the suspected fraud.
  2. Inform the suspected student(s) in writing. The faculty member may contact the Dean of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies for additional support and guidance.
  3. Provide the student with the opportunity to respond to the charges within five business days of his/her receipt of, or refusal to accept, notice of the suspected fraud. If the student fails to respond to this opportunity, the student forfeits any right to appeal the decision to the school or college level where the course is taught, and the faculty member will determine the penalty.
  4. Discuss the academic fraud with the student and agree to pursue student/faculty resolution. If no such agreement is reached, the faculty member refers the matter to the dean of the school or college level where the course is taught and will be processed at the school/college level.
  5. In cases where a faculty member takes action for a case of academic fraud, the faculty member will send a report describing the academic fraud and the penalty being imposed to the student, the dean of the school or college where the course involved is taught, the dean of the school or college where the student is enrolled, and the Dean of te Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies as the office of record. Please contact the Dean of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies for guidelines and templates for constructing the reports.

If the faculty member is not satisfied with the sanctions available, he or she may refer the case to the dean responsible for the course in question.

If the student does not accept responsibility for the academic fraud or disagrees with the sanction imposed by the faculty member, the student may appeal the outcome at the school or college level according to the process stipulated in the bylaws or student handbook of the school or college where the course is taught.


The suggested penalty for academic fraud in any course is failure in the course. However, faculty members may take alternative steps. Penalties available to faculty members include:

  • Formal warning.
  • Reduction in grade for the assignment.
  • Reduction in the grade for the course.
  • Failing grade for the assignment.
  • A failing grade (F) in the course.
  • A failing grade (XF) in the course (a grade of XF will appear on the transcript and be defined on the transcript as failure as a result of academic fraud).

Offenses Subject to Expulsion

All reports of academic fraud will be reviewed by the Dean of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies to verify whether reports have been received indicating that the student has been found responsible for any other act of academic fraud. In cases where the dean finds that the case is a repeat offense for which the student has received a failing grade (F or XF) in a course for each offense or a case in which a student has stolen or attempted to steal an examination, the dean will expel the student from the university. The student may appeal cases resulting in expulsion to the Academic Review Board.

Resolution at the School/College Level

Process and Reporting

When a faculty member or any other employee of the university becomes aware of possible academic fraud occurring outside a course, the faculty member or employee will:

  1. Collect and preserve all evidence of the suspected fraud.
  2. Refer the matter to the dean of the school or college where the student is enrolled.

When a case of academic fraud occurring in a course is referred to the dean of the school or college where the course is taught or when a case of academic fraud occurring outside a course is referred to the dean of the school or college where the student is enrolled:

  1. The dean will notify the student and the Dean of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies in writing of the charge of academic fraud, the penalty to be imposed, and all rights of appeal, if any.
  2. If a student wishes to contest the charge of academic fraud or disagrees with the sanction imposed, the student may do so according to the process stipulated in the bylaws or student handbook of the school or college where the course is taught. In such a case, the student will also be informed of the process as stipulated by the school or college.
  3. In cases where the penalty results in dismissal of the student from the school or college, the student may appeal the decision at the university level in writing to the Academic Review Board via the Dean of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies.


The maximum penalty imposed in school or college resolution for individuals convicted of academic fraud shall be dismissal from the school or college. Lesser penalties may include:

  • Formal warning.
  • Reduction in grade for the assignment.
  • Reduction in the grade for the course.
  • Failing grade for the assignment.
  • Failing grade (F) in the course.
  • A failing grade (XF) in the course (a grade of XF will appear on the transcript and be defined on the transcript as failure as a result of academic fraud).
  • Required attendance at an academic integrity workshop or tutorial.

Offenses Subject to Expulsion

All reports of academic fraud will be reviewed by the Dean of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies to verify whether reports have been received indicating that the student has been found responsible for any other act of academic fraud. In cases where the Dean of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies finds that the case is a repeat offense where the student has received a failing grade (F or XF) in a course for each offense or a case where a student has stolen or attempted to steal an examination, the Dean of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies will expel the student from the university. The student may appeal cases resulting in expulsion to the Academic Review Board.

Resolution at the University Level-Repeat Offenses/Theft of Examination Materials


The Dean of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies will review all reports of academic fraud.

  1. If the Dean of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies finds the case is a repeat offense where the student has received a failing grade (F or XF) in a course for each offense, the Dean of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies will expel the student from the university. The student may appeal the case to the Academic Review Board.
  2. If the Dean of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies finds the case is a repeat offense where the student has not received a failing grade for both offenses, the case will be referred to the Academic Review Board.
  3. If the student has stolen or attempted to steal an examination, the Dean of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies will expel the student from the university. The student may appeal the case to the Academic Review Board.


The maximum penalty imposed by the Academic Review Board for individuals convicted of academic fraud shall be expulsion from the university. Penalties include:

  • An XF grade in the course (a grade of XF will appear on the transcript and be defined on the transcript as failure as a result of academic fraud).
  • Removal of the privilege of representing the university in extracurricular activities, including athletics, as well as the privilege of running for or holding office in any student organization that is allowed to use university facilities or receives university funds.
  • Suspension from the university for up to one academic year. Students suspended for academic fraud cannot transfer into Widener any credits earned during the suspension.
  • Dismissal from the university. Students dismissed for academic fraud must apply for readmission according to the Academic Review Board guidelines. Readmission applications by students suspended for academic fraud must be approved by the Academic Review Board.
  • Expulsion from the university without the opportunity for readmission.


The Dean of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies will send a report describing the academic fraud and the penalty being imposed to the student, the affected faculty members, the dean of the school or college where the course involved is taught, and the dean of the school or college where the student is enrolled, as well as maintain a copy as the office of record.

Student Appeals/Decisions—Expulsion/Dismissal

When a student is expelled or dismissed by the Dean of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies, the student may initiate his or her appeal to the Academic Review Board by notifying the dean in writing of the request for an appeal, together with a concise statement of the grounds for the appeal.

Written notice of the student’s request for appeal, together with the concise statement of the student’s grounds for the appeal, must be received by the Dean of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies no more than ten business days following the decision of the faculty, school/college, or university.

When a case is referred to the Academic Review Board, the dean Studies shall notify the student in writing of the time and location for the Academic Review Board hearing.

The membership of the Academic Review Board consists of the provost, the Dean of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies, the college/school deans, the chair of the faculty, and the chair of the Faculty Council Academic Affairs Committee; provided, however, that any majority of the foregoing members shall constitute a quorum for purposes of conducting any matters to come before the Academic Review Board pursuant to these standards. Any faculty member on the Academic Review Board involved in the original accusations will not participate in deliberations in that case.

At an appeal before the Academic Review Board, the student shall have the opportunity to be heard and the right to produce witnesses or introduce evidence subject to the reasonable discretion of the Academic Review Board. The student may also be accompanied by a representative of his or her choosing who may not participate in the appeal. The Academic Review Board shall not be subject to any evidentiary rules but shall accept or reject evidence in its sound discretion. All appeals shall be closed to the public and no stenographic record shall be required unless requested at the expense of the requesting party. In the absence of a stenographic record, the Academic Review Board shall provide, in its sole discretion, either a recorded record or notes of the proceedings taken by a member of the Academic Review Board.

The results of all appeals to the Academic Review Board, permitted in the Academic Integrity Policy, shall be final.

Any matter submitted to a faculty member, the school/college, or the university for decision or review under this policy will be decided in a timely manner and the parties will use their best efforts to conclude the proceedings within the semester in which the alleged offense has occurred or the appeal is received, provided, however, that any delay in the proceedings will in no way operate as a waiver of the university’s right to assess any or all of the sanctions permitted hereunder. References to the Dean of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies also includes his/her designee, except with respect to membership on the Academic Review Board.

Academic Review Board

The Academic Review Board consists of the provost, the Dean of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies, the deans of each school/college, the vice chair of the University Council, and the chair of the University Council Academic Affairs Committee. Duties of the board include (1) hearing petitions for the waiver of academic regulations that transcend a single school or college (e.g., distribution or residency requirements, walk-through policy), and (2) serving as the appeal body in cases of an alleged violation of procedure in school/college Academic Council hearings.

Academic Grievance Appeal Procedure

If a student has a grievance concerning a class in which he or she is enrolled, he/she will first try to resolve the problem with the instructor of the class. If a student has a grievance concerning an academic requirement of the program (e.g., comprehensive examination, final clinical oral examination, clinical placements), he/she will first try to resolve the problem with the director of the program. If it is impossible to resolve the matter at this initial level, the grievance must be placed in writing. Then the student may appeal to the next higher level. The student should inquire in the office of the dean responsible for the course or program in question for the proper appeal procedure if the student’s grievance is not resolved to the student’s satisfaction after initial appeal to the instructor or the program director.

Students must submit their request to grieve a grade in writing to the course instructor no later than 30 days after the course grades are posted for student review.

Graduate Student Assistance

The Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies team is available to provide support and answer questions for all graduate students.  If you have a question and are unsure whom you should contact, please send an email to gcs@widener.edu or call 610-499-4507.  If you call while we are working remotely during the pandemic, please leave a message and one of our Student Success Advisors will return your call. 

If you are having a concern related to a course or faculty member, the process is as follows: 

  1. Most challenges can be addressed by speaking with the faculty member directly, and that is recommended as the first step 
  2. If you are unable to resolve your concern with the faculty member, or are uncomfortable speaking with them directly, please contact the graduate program director 
  3. If you are unable to resolve your concern with the graduate program director, or are uncomfortable speaking with them directly, please contact the department chair or center/institute director 
  4. If you are unable to resolve your concern with the unit director, or are uncomfortable speaking with them directly, please contact your college or school dean 

If you are unable to resolve your concern through the steps above or would like to seek advising from another neutral party, the staff of the Center for Graduate and Continuing Studies is available to offer confidential assistance or advising.  For example, some students seek advising regarding how to approach their faculty member, while others have questions about university policies.  If you would like to set up an appointment, please contact Dr. Kim O’Halloran, Dean of Graduate and Continuing Studies and Graduate Student Ombudsperson, at kcohalloran@widener.edu.  If your concern is time-sensitive, please put “Time Sensitive” in the subject line.  Dr. O’Halloran periodically checks her emails for such subjects when graduate students are on campus (including evenings and weekends).   

If you have a mental health concern

  • Please contact Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) during business hours at 610-499-1261.  CAPS is a resource available to graduate students and provides short-term therapy for students. Off-campus referrals are provided for those who seek long-term therapy. 
  • If you have signed up for the University Student Health Insurance plan that Widener offers, you have free access to the Student Assistance Program that includes access to a licensed professional 24/7 with no copay.   
  • If you have your own health insurance, please visit their web site directly to determine your benefits and contact information, including their directions for 24/7 access. 
  • If you do not have the Widener or your own health insurance, and if a mental health emergency should occur outside of CAPS operating hours, please contact the nearest crisis center or hospital emergency room (Crozer Chester Hospital in Chester is the nearest to Campus) or dial #911.   

If you have an accessibility-related concern

Any student has the right to request reasonable accommodation of a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Student Accessibility Services reviews documentation and student requests for accommodations.  Please direct any questions to the Student Accessibility Services office during business hours at 610-690-1266. 

If you have a Title IX or similar concern

Widener is committed to creating and sustaining a safe environment for all students and employees. Our Equal Opportunity, Harassment, and Nondiscrimination Policy prohibits all forms of sexual misconduct and assault on campus. Upon receiving a report of misconduct, we will address the matter as quickly and fairly as possible.  To submit a report, please visit https://cm.maxient.com/reportingform.php?WidenerUniv&layout_id=40 

If you have a school-related time sensitive concern when University offices are closed, please email Dr. O’Halloran at kcohalloran@widener.edu with “Time Sensitive” in the subject line.  If your concern is related to safety or security, please contact Campus Safety at 610-499-4200.   

Annual Notice to Students Regarding Education Records

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords eligible students certain rights with respect to their education records. (An “eligible student” under FERPA is a student who is 18 years of age or older or who attends a postsecondary institution.) These rights include:

  • The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days after the day the university receives a request for access. A student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The university official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the university official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  • The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.

    A student who wishes to ask the university to amend a record should write the university official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed.

    If the university decides not to amend the record as requested, the university will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  • The right to provide written consent before the university discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

    The university discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to university officials with legitimate educational interests. A university official is a person employed by the university in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including, without limitation, law enforcement unit personnel, health staff, athletic coaches and trainers, and admissions counselors and recruiters); a person serving on the board of trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee. A university official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of the university who performs an institutional service or function for which the university would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the university with respect to the use and maintenance of PII from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, contractor, consultant, or collection agent, or a student volunteering to assist another university official in performing his or her tasks. A university official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the university.

    Upon request, the university also discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll. Such education records may include updated or corrected information, including, without limitation, disciplinary and health records.
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the university to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202

  • The right to withhold public disclosure of any or all items of “directory information” by written notification to the Registrar’s Office of the University, the Delaware Law School or the Commonwealth Law School, as applicable, within two (2) weeks after the commencement of the fall or spring semesters of any given academic year. Under current University policy, the term “directory information” includes, without limitation, a student’s name, home and campus address, telephone listing(s), electronic mail address, photograph, major field of study, grade level, enrollment status (e.g., undergraduate or graduate, full-time or part-time); dates of attendance, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees, honors, and awards received, and the most recent educational agency or institution attended.

Graduation Requirements and Awarding of Degrees

Students are responsible for knowing and meeting curriculum requirements as shown in this catalog, including:

  • To receive a degree, a student must complete the prescribed number of semester hours and courses required by the program of study.
  • A student must attain a GPA of 3.00 overall as well as in the set of courses identified as primary to the program of study. These courses are defined by each program of study.
  • A student must meet all academic criteria as defined by their program of study and program policies.
  • A student must successfully complete the culminating experience, if required.

Exceptions to these requirements can be made only by the Dean of the Center for Graduate & Continuing Studies, in consultation with the Graduate Program Director.

Those who expect to receive a graduate degree should complete the Petition for Graduation in Student Planning on MyWidener. A student who completes requirements for the degree at the conclusion of either summer session will be awarded the degree in August of that year; the student must submit a graduation petition online via Student Planning by April 1. A student who completes requirements for the degree at the conclusion of the fall semester will be awarded the degree in December of that year; the student must submit a graduation petition online via Student Planning by August 1. A student who completes requirements for the degree at the conclusion of the spring semester will be awarded the degree in May of that year; the student must submit a graduation petition online via Student Planning by November 1 of the previous year. The university holds only one formal commencement in the spring to which August, December, and May graduates are invited.

A student who petitions for graduation and who, for whatever reason, is not awarded the degree, must re-petition.


Students in good financial standing may have copies of their transcripts forwarded to employers, agents, or institutions of higher education by visiting getmytranscript.com and typing Widener University in the search box.

Enrollment Services

The Enrollment Services Center assists students with applying for and managing financial aid, billing, course registration, and the Campus1Card. The center is located in Lipka Hall and houses Financial Aid Services, the Bursar, the Registrar, and Campus1Card. Students who withdraw or graduate from the university must clear through Enrollment Services. For hours of operation, a full listing of services, and more information, visit these Enrollment Services websites:
widener.edu/BursarOffice (Business Office)
widener.edu/Campus1CardOffice (Campus1Card)
widener.edu/FinancialAidOffice (Financial Aid)
widener.edu/RegistrarOffice (Registrar)


A student who anticipates receiving educational assistance under chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill®  benefits is provided with the opportunity to enroll in and attend classes, without any late fee being imposed, even if the student’s anticipated educational assistance from the VA Educational Benefits has not yet arrived at the University.   In addition, a student will be able to utilize all University student services, including the library.

This policy is in place for students who have provided to Widener University a certificate of eligibility for entitlement (this may include a Statement of Benefits obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website  e-Benefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes for the upcoming term.

The policy may cease once the VA has made payment to the University OR 90 days after the University has received the certificate of eligibility and certified tuition and fees.

For Chapter 31 and Chapter 33 Educational Benefit recipients, Widener University requires students to complete a form and possibly provide additional information to the VA Certifying Official so their certification of enrollment is accurate.