Jul 14, 2024  
2022 - 2023 Undergraduate Catalog 
2022 - 2023 Undergraduate Catalog [FINAL EDITION]

Chemistry: Secondary Education Certification, BS

Students majoring in chemistry can obtain secondary certification in chemistry by completing the secondary education track. Students must also follow the instructions and requirements in the Center for Education section. Students may seek certification in more than one field; however, this usually requires more than eight semesters. Students who wish to become certified in more than one area should work closely with their faculty advisor when planning course schedules.

Curriculum Sequence†


Fall (14.5 Credits)

Spring (14.5 Credits)


Spring (17 Credits)


Spring (16 Credits)


Fall (16-18 Credits)

Spring (15 Credits)

Total Credits: 125-127

Changes may occur via the Pennsylvania Department of Education and will be communicated to students through their advisors. Education students must receive a grade of B (3.0) or better in the majority of education classes. Students must have a 2.9 overall GPA and pass PAPA, CORE, or have SAT or ACT scores that are high enough to offer exemption from these assessments to be admitted to teacher candidacy. Please see the Office of Certification for more information on testing. Students must have current criminal record checks, FBI clearances, and child abuse clearances.

*Students must take 6 credits of science electives. In spring of their junior year or fall of their senior year, they must select a course from the following: BCH 451 /BCH 453 , CHEM 386 /CHEM 389 , CHEM 461 /CHEM 463 , CHEM 475 , CHEM 488 , or ENVR 304 . The additional science elective can be any BIOL, BCH, CHEM, MATH, CSCI, PHYS, ENVR, or ESSC course at the 200 level or above.

**Any of these will fulfill the PDE literature requirement: ENGL 131 , ENGL 132 , ENGL 133 , ENGL 134 , ENGL 135 —literary history surveys. ENGL 335 ENGL 363 —upper-level British literature courses. ENGL 365 -ENGL 376 —upper-level American literature courses.

The program of study that appears here applies to students who were admitted for the summer session of this catalog year and later.  Students admitted prior to that term should select the appropriate catalog year of their admission.  Choose previous catalogs from the Home, Graduate, or Undergraduate Catalog Page at http://Catalog.widener.edu.