Jan 27, 2023
The BSW program has numerous dual degree options for students. These include psychology; sociology (applied practice track); gender, women, and sexuality studies; criminal justice; fine arts; and K–12 school counselor certification. All students enrolled in these programs must consult with their advisors in social work and the corresponding program for accurate academic advisement in both programs.
Please note that courses in the following dual degrees may be taken out of order so that students can complete all curricular requirements: Psychology; Gender, Women, & Sexuality Studies; Sociology; Fine Arts; and Criminal Justice.
Eligible Widener BSW students may apply for the accelerated 5-year BSW/MSW advanced standing program as part of their BSW candidacy application. Admission occurs during the fall semester of the junior year and requires a GPA of 3.4 or higher. This program grants BSW students permission to take three MSW courses during their undergraduate studies that count toward their BSW degree, but does not grant admission to the MSW program. If, in their senior year, BSW students apply to the MSW program at Widener and get accepted, the graduate course credits (9 credits total) are subsequently transferred to the MSW program. This program enables students to complete a 32-credit MSW curriculum ladder instead of the regular 41-credit Advanced Standing program. This option both reduces the cost and time of graduate education.
Fall (15.5 Credits)
- Humanities Elective 2 3 Credit(s)
- Social Science Elective 1 3 Credit(s)
- Science Elective 3 3 Credit(s)
- Free Electives 6 Credit(s)
- Physical Education Elective 2 0.5 Credit(s)
Spring (15 Credits)
- Humanities Electives 3 and 4 6 Credit(s)
- Science Elective 4 3 Credit(s)
- Free Electives 6 Credit(s)
Summer Semester (9 Credits)
- SW 503 - Interpersonal Processes 3 Credit(s)
- SW 507 - Social Work Writing Workshop 0 Credit(s)
- SW 600 - Foundations for Clinical Social Work Practice 3 Credit(s)
- SW 664 - Treating Trauma 3 Credit(s)
Fall Semester (13 Credits)
- SW 630 - Clinical Social Work Practice with Individuals 3 Credit(s)
- SW 633 - Clinical Social Work Practice with Families 3 Credit(s)
- SW 636 - Organizations & Program Development 3 Credit(s)
- SW 650 - Field Instruction III and Seminar 4 Credit(s)
Spring Semester (10 Credits)
- SW 502 - Human Behavior & the Social Environment II 3 Credit(s)
- SW 639 - Clinical Practice Seminar 3 Credit(s)
- SW 651 - Field Instruction IV and Seminar 4 Credit(s)
Total Credits: 154
Graduate with MSW
Note: This is instead of the 39 credits required for regular advanced standing students – the accelerated students are saving 9 credits by doing them in their BSW junior and senior years.
The program of study that appears here applies to students who were admitted for the summer session of this catalog year and later. Students admitted prior to that term should select the appropriate catalog year of their admission. Choose previous catalogs from the Home, Graduate, or Undergraduate Catalog Page at http://Catalog.widener.edu.